Wednesday, May 23, 2007

North Carolina Trip

Sue and I got home from Raleigh/Charlotte yesterday.  I have to say  that I was impressed with the sunny South.  When I was in Charlotte, we visited the downtown area where we were able to ride the free trolleys that the city fathers run there.  New buildings are everywhere. 

I really enjoyed visiting the First Presbyterian Church in Charlotte.  They have a service at 12pm on wednesdays with a meal for five dollars afterward.  The church is a great relief in this urban environment, and the minister and people of this church leave you wishing that you never had to go home. 

Charlotte is the birthplace of President James K. Polk.  They have a nice park there with a good movie on his life and times. 

Charlotte has several good museums but I didn't get to them. 

After two days, we drove the one hundred seventy miles to Raleigh.  Carolina drivers seem to practice their love of NASCAR on the road.  Speeds twenty mph over the limit were common as was cutting traffic.  Pretty agressive I think. 

We took a trolley tour of downtown Raleigh too.  This was diesel electric trolley which is new to me.  The tour guide did not drive the trolley.  She stood like we do in Bay City.  The tour was very similiar to ours and was quide good. 

Raleigh was having an art show so we went.  I would have stayed longer but we had other things to do. 

We visited the Mordacai Plantation where we saw the boyhood home of President Andrew Johnson.  The plantation was a four thousand acre farm originally. 

The piano forte was rectangular  and had candle shades that looked like small Roman standards setting on top.  These were to shield the pianists from the excessive heat of the candles.  The heat would melt their makeup.  In those days when small pox was too common, I bet they had a use. 

We left my son, Fred's, at 4:15 am to catch the 6am flight on USAIR to Charlotte.  In Charlotte we changed planes for Detroit.  Sue was at work in Saginaw by noon.  I couldn't help but think of my historical studies where I learned that the stage from Buffalo to Albany took about twelve days. 

It was a great trip,

No comments: