Sunday, April 17, 2011

3rd-grader denied playground witnessing (OneNewsNow.com)

3rd-grader denied playground witnessing (OneNewsNow.com)

This is a very tough problem for me. Should a student be allowed to proselytize their religious faith on public school grounds during school hours and common school activities. My test for this is whether it would be considered fair to have Muslims or Jehovah's Witnesses or even Wiccens do the same thing. I ask for my Chpristian friends help in understanding this by using the following example. If a Wiccan were teaching natural religion or what some feel is Satanism on the school grounds, would they find it acceptable? If they do, then we are ready to allow religious proselytizing on public grounds.

It is a question of fairness. It is a question of doing unto others as you would have them do to you. it is a question of whether the United States Constitution guarantees an individual the right to speak of their religion in public. I believe it's the same as preaching in the public square. It is constitutional and must be allowed. I support this young girl's right to speak of her religion where I would not support the Gideons passing out Bibles in the classroom where no one could leave.

We are a nation of many faiths. we must consider the rights of our citizens.

No comments: