Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A New Model for Generating the News

I am sure that there is a need for paid, professional news sources. I don’t see a future for organizations that charge for repeating wire stories on paper. The whole distribution process is in competition with almost free distribution of electronic information that can be audio or video as well as editable and copy-capable. My 3G phone is closer than that awkward paper on the table and gives me access to papers that I never had before.

It is possible that we don’t need paid writers. The USA has so many people who do a great job of writing as an art form or interest. We also have a great number of institutions who distribute well done information for free. That doesn’t cover everything though.

We need something like the wire service that provides the key link between events and written reports of them. This business service needs to be paid by micropayments made to the writer who pays a set fee to the distributing organization. It would be an ebay of reports and ideas. The free market would determine the need for professional, paid writers.

I wrote this in response to a posting on TWO Cents

No comments: